Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Boog City

Boog Literature

351 West 24th Street, Suite 19E

New York, NY 10011-1510

www.boognyc.com • info@boognyc.com

T: (212) 206-8899 F: (212) 206-9982

This is Boog City, a community newspaper from a group

of artists and writers based in and around New York City’s

East Village, either physically or spiritually, and sometimes

both.

This is Boog City, a group of people who question

authority, and create amazing art while doing so.

This is Boog City, a community of New Yorkers,

Americans, citizens of the world, who flourish everyday amid

every reason not to.

This is Boog City, hop in the front seat, and put your

shoulder to the wheel.

David Kirschenbaum,

editor and publisher



Boog City is a small press now its 16th year, and East Village community newspaper of the same name. The press has published more than three dozen volumes of poetry and various zines, featuring work by Allen Ginsberg, Anne Waldman, Ed Sanders, Eileen Myles, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and Bernadette Mayer among many others, and theme issues on topics ranging from baseball to women's writing, to The Ramones and Talking Heads making the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.



rockstar

And all of the wind that filled my sails

just blows right through me...

I think I’m in love with myself.

I’m not who I thought I was.

I’m stoned and I’m watching T.V.

and I’m thinking

I don’t wanna be a rockstar anymore.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar anymore.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

And everybody looks like some body

but nobody I know.

Everywhere I think of going

is somewhere I don’t go.

Every time I say I’m thinking

I’m thinking that you knew

that there was nothing else to do.

So, I think I’m leaving you.

I’m learning to lie to myself.

I’m thinking about my health.

I’m wondering where you are and I’m thinking

I don’t wanna be a rockstar anymore.

I don’t wanna be a rockstar.

Major Matt Mason




Evening with the Financial Report

A chicken cooked under happy circumstances

Is a chicken that lasts forever.

And these various monstrosities that balloon

Under the quelling moonlight reveal the bleakness

Of the two-sided day, drive me to the fringes

Of this cylindrical existence, as we sit

On our tattered couch, futuristically naked,

While bunches of flowers hang

Upside down above us to dry throughout

The length of this long, intelligent season.

Ever ything here seems reducible to the sawed-

Off light of the candelabrum.

What does it matter if everybody is buying

Out everybody else, who reels in the general

Recession, who pillages, who divests,

Which holders savor the dismal pleasure of 1970s

Supermarket music as opposed to the prurient

Thud of disco pumping itself out of corporation phones?

Tonight I do not see beyond the shiny images

Undulating through your straw-colored hair

Like ants in an anthill, while your chiaroscuro

Eyepatch wanes and finally drops.

At this moment I do not know

How your or my hair will vanish,

How our vows will scatter like November,

How false empathy will be wielded

Like a blowtorch through a box of cake mix

Toward the one of us who survives the other.

What difference does it make, who leaves

The earth first, or second,

If we can continue to catch some of the coin-

Colored reflections of stars turning in the dark-lit sky?

Because that’s all we ever wanted

In the first place, and these withered rooms

We rest in, replete with all the small

Comforts of home, will themselves seal

Their warm shadows in envelopes of sunlight

With no return address, scorching over the streets

Of circuitous amplitudes like a firewalk.

“During WW II Bausch and Lomb produced

Over 3 million pounds of optical glass

For the war effort,” you sigh.

You, who have always known that the stars

Are the first television, as you fall asleep

With dinner on your knees.

Noelle Kocot

Oberlin, Ohio